Looking for a sweepstake with a difference? Then put your money where your mouth is and take a punt on the outcome of the inaugural sausage world cup.
Aberdeen-based butcher James Haig has created a limited edition sausage to represent each of the 32 nations in the starting line-up for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. Sausages will be eliminated from the shelves as the competition progresses through the group and knock-out stages, leaving two sausages to fight it out at the final on 13 July.
However, this meaty competition comes with a twist. Despite the national team failing to qualify for the football World Cup, Scotland has been given a free pass all the way to the final of its sausage counterpart.
Could this be the year that we finally see Scotland lift the cup?
You can follow the progress of the sausage world cup on Haig’s Facebook page.
Check out your national sausage below:
- Brazil – pork meat feast
- Cameroon – pork & hot pepper
- Croatia – pork, black pepper, paprika & garlic
- Mexico – pork jalapeño
- Australia – pork and XXXX beer
- Chile – beef chilli
- Netherlands – pork, syrup & waffles
- Spain – pork chorizo
- Colombia – beef & coffee
- Greece – pork moussaka
- Ivory Coast – chicken casserole
- Japan – chicken & veg
- Costa Rica – chicken, chilli & black bean
- England – pork, ham & mustard
- Uruguay – spicy beef
- Italy – pork & Italian herbs
- Ecuador – pork & potato
- France – pork Toulouse
- Honduras – beef & avocado
- Switzerland – pork & Swiss cheese
- Argentina – beef & red wine
- Bosnia and Herzegovina – pork & onion
- Iran – lamb curry
- Nigeria – pork, coconut & chilli
- Germany – pork bratwurst
- Ghana – spicy lamb
- Portugal – chicken piri piri
- USA – pork BBQ hot dog
- Algeria – lamb & parsley
- Belgium – pork, chilli & chocolate
- Russia – pork & vodka
- South Korea – beef BBQ
- Scotland – pork, shortbread & Irn Bru